Thursday, March 29, 2012

Workaround for Finger Sensing Pad on ASUS laptops

History:

I love my ASUS G74Sx laptop, it rocks in so many ways, except... The godawful, horrible, annoying, PITA trackpad.

Let me explain for those who are not yet plagued with the nasty bit of software attached to this otherwise decent hardware. It is my understanding that the Sentelic Finger Sensing Pad is actually very similar to the ones found on Mac laptops and are in fact made by the same company. However, the software to drive them is entirely different. The Mac software is impeccable, smooth scrolling in all directions, almost no lag, perfect execution of acceleration and speed, etc. The Windows software is laggy, inconsistent, and buggy. Most of the time, I use an external mouse with my laptop. I expect the system to disable the trackpad when an external mouse is plugged in, but it doesn't keep that setting for long. The trackpad is very sensitive to the point where a slight touch activates it. Where this becomes a problem is that I'll be happy-go-luckily typing away on my blog, letter, or essay when all of the sudden the trackpad wakes up and moves my cursor to a whole different part of the document. I type faster than my eyes can see (or my brain registers, not sure which) such that it takes a few words before I realize what happened. Then I get mad, I end up deleting some very important text. In any case, this is unacceptable. I've checked to see that the Fn+f9 option to disable the trackpad was still on, and it was. The system tray indicates the trackpad should not be working, but there it is, in all its glory, taking over my mouse movements. Not to mention, there isn't a disable option in device manager. I've scoured the internet for better drivers and software to no avail.

At one point, I thought it might be related to my existing USB mouse. I decided to use a different mouse and thought for a moment that the problem went away, but it just took a random amount of time to show up.

So, what can I do?

If you don't want to bother with reading all the stupid problems I discovered along the way to a resolution, then just click here to go to the solution to this problem. However, it would benefit anyone to read the rest just to learn how Logitech, Windows, and ASUS all work (or rather, don't work) together to create a seemingly impossible problem.

Things to consider:

One thing I had to consider is what happens when I move my laptop and disconnect the external mouse. Sure, I could uninstall the trackpad and reinstall it before moving my computer to a location where I would need the trackpad, then uninstall it when done. That seems like a hassle to me, and I don't want to keep going to device manager to do this either. Plus, the install requires a reboot to work, apparently.

Another weird thing is that the trackpad is treated like a PS/2 mouse rather than a USB mouse. I find this to be very odd, I thought everything was USB these days, including internal mice and keyboards.

I decided to revert to a simple PS/2 mouse driver instead, but the option to disable never showed up. I'm guessing it's because the system doesn't truly allow one to disable a PS/2 device and I believe this to be a BIOS setting since the OS in no way controls or assigns IRQs.

Worse still, Windows will not simply allow me to uninstall the device without a reboot.

Back in the early days of A+ I recall that some computers had APIC (advanced programmable interrupt controller) support. That is, the OS could control IRQ settings. This had to be enabled in the BIOS as to whether the BIOS handled hardware IRQ assignments with or without the option for the OS to change them. On a laptop, it makes little sense for BIOS to give this option to the OS since there is no room for changes. However, we can see that my dilemma requires that I do have this functionality.


An attempted resolution:

Since I've done all this evaluation, I thought it meant that I could purchase one of the new wireless trackball mice with the really small USB receiver. With this, I could simply disable the trackpad in the BIOS and use the wireless mouse all the time.

However, I discovered a new and even more shocking outcome. When I reboot my computer with the trackpad disabled, my keyboard is also disabled. That's right, I have to use the onscreen keyboard just to log in. At first I wasn't sure why this happened and so I reverted back to the way things were previously by re-enabling the trackpad in the BIOS, and then the keyboard worked.

I'm not sure who is at fault here, the BIOS or Logitech? I think it is a combination in that disabling the trackpad might also disable the keyboard, although it didn't do this with my other USB mouse. I noticed when I installed the new mouse that it also installed a keyboard driver, and when I booted into the system with the trackpad and keyboard now disabled, there was only the driver for the non-existent Logitech keyboard. My thought here is that Windows can use multiple mice, but only wants one active keyboard. Since it thinks that there is one based on the new mouse and some BIOS setting, it doesn't see the built in keyboard any longer. With the trackpad enabled, there must be some change in the BIOS in assigning the IRQ so that Windows does not ignore the built in keyboard. I am only guessing at all of this, but it's all really annoying.

I also thought I might have found a workaround. I thought, "what if I uninstall the trackpad, it will disable it until the next boot?" So I tried this. Unfortunately, it doesn't disable it, Windows used a generic PS/2 mouse driver instead, without the option to disable it with the external mouse, thus making this even more annoying, not better.


The Solution!

I thought all was lost and I had one more idea. Why it took me so long to think of this, I can't imagine. Couldn't I just force Windows to use a fake driver? I started looking around the 'net for a fake driver when it dawned on me that I can use any unsupported driver already in Windows. So, I updated the driver to one I selected from a list, I made sure to uncheck the show compatible drivers and selected a generic Logitech Serial mouse.




I rebooted just to make sure it would stay that way, now I don't have any issues, the trackpad doesn't work any more. Eureeka! I only worked on this resolution for a week, it's no big thing ;-)


A request was made to break this down a bit more for the less tech savvy, so I will attempt to do that.

To get to the above screen, go to Start >  Control Panel > Device Manager. You'll have a list similar to the following:



From here look for "Mice and other pointing devices" where you will see "Finger Sensing Pad". Right click on this and go to Properties, then select update driver.



From here, click the button that says to "Let me pick..." and it will pop up a new screen. On this screen you have to uncheck the box that says "Show compatible hardware" and you'll see the following: 


At this point, it's easy, just pick the same manufacturer as I did in my original screenshot and then pick the same model I did and now you have a completely useless trackpad :-)



23 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks. I'm probably running a pretty similar laptop as I mirror all of those issues identically. I absolutely despise track pads and am all the more infuriated when an option to turn something off DOESN'T ACTUALLY TURN IT THE HECK OFF.

    From the best I can gather, disabling the track pad only works until the system logs out, goes to sleep, etc. but then upon system resume it seems to re-enable the track pad by default.

    Thank you very much for this resolution, and for doing all the grunt work for me. I am very glad this worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.. Thank you.. Seriously, THANK YOU! I have been so frustrated trying to solve the problem as well. Months of frustration and cursing a wonderful computer are behind me. I even taped a piece of cardboard over the damn thing at one point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am sorry I am so not tech savvy and can't understand how you even got to that page above..? I HATE THIS trackpad and almost broke my laptop over it. I just want it off.. any help? broken down for the non techys like me? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K,

      I've updated the post with additional instructions to help you out.

      Delete
  4. Is there any solution to make the trackpad work better rather than just to not use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there were. I looked all over for a solution and have yet to find one. There are no third party developers and I'm not a programmer. Trust me, if there were a way to make it work better, my post would have been all about that instead!

      Delete
  5. Man, great thanks! Just bougth MSI CX480 with very same touchpad — and your solution worked just perfect. I was basically sure that it's hardware problem, but thanks to you (and Google) I solved it without any king of support or repairing service. Gotta go and tell this solution to Russian people.

    P.S. Side notice: I'm not sure how you done it with serial mouse driver, it should not work by the design. At least, with my laptop only Logitech PS/2 driver works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. inetman,

      My goal was to keep it from working at all, that's why I chose a serial driver :-). I have yet to find a driver that does work, but truth be told, I haven't looked lately. If ever I do have the desire to get the trackpad to work, I'll post my findings. Glad this was useful to you though!

      Delete
  6. Oh, my goodness. Thanks SOOOO much. I was having difficulty with every bit of typing, including passwords. This has solved the issue! Again, thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This worked like a charm! No more retyping all the time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying to do the same thing. However I think my laptop is a lot newer so the tabs have different names. Instead of it saying "finger sensing pad" it says ELAN PS/2 Port Smart.Pad. I assume that is the correct hing to click on. So when I follow the same steps as above, my categories are slightly different and none say finger sensing pad. They all say either USB keyboard mouse or USB mouse.

    I'm not sure if they have made it so you can't stop the pad now, or if clicking on a USB keyboard mouse will fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany,

      I researched it and the ELAN appears to be either the same thing or (as in the case of some individuals) was an incorrect driver that ASUS installed. In any case, you can do the same thing as my instructions tell you, change to a serial driver and it simply won't work any more.

      When you say the categories are different, did you deselect the compatible hardware option? If you did not, it will only show drivers that the system believes will work with that mouse. Since we don't want the mouse to work, we must select a driver that simply will not. Uncheck that box and you should be good to go.

      Delete
  9. you are my HERO today!!!! it used to be that i could turn the finger sensing pad on and off in the control panel, but then there was a driver update and that feature was disabled. i tried installing 10 drivers trying to get that functionality back. SCREW IT, i hated that touchpad anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the solution, track pad has been a pain for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, I was going crazy with that POS track pad. Thank you and thank you again....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This saved my sanity. Thank you for spending the week I couldn't fathom spending to fix a problem that I desperately needed to fix!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great info! I have had the exact same issues on my ASUS G74sx for some years now. The other day one of my clients had to write a few sentences on my computer and he was really confused when the cursor jumped all around. Remarkable to have such issues on a product that costed me more than 2400 USD when I bought it. Also confusing that the F9 button doesn´t turn off the mousepad from working.
    Now I have to change the driver, which sadly make me loose the mousepad as an option for navigation. Thank you soo much for giving this info.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oops, there goes the screen again. I almost shouted at the hills about this hack because at first it appeared to work and I've been cursing at this finger sensing pad for years. before i had it set up such that when i plugged my the receiver into a usb port for my wireless mouse the finger sensing pad was killed, but when i would close the lid the pad would be active again until unplugged and plugged in the receiver. upon applying the above hack initially it worked as planned.the pad didnt work and when i closed and openedthe lid it still didnt work. good. but then i discovered that the keyboard no longer e. i restored and now the pad works at all times no matter if i plug the mouse receiver in and out. so here we go again. sorry this took so long, my cursor kept moving around and it caused me to mess up a lot of my writing that i had to fix. sorry about caps and punctu i just lost it all again but you get what im saying here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kenbig1, I had issues with the keyboard too, but only when I tried to use the logitech receiver and when I disabled the mouse in the bios. Best guess is the driver being used by your other device is impacting the keyboard, much like disabling the mouse in the bios did for me. I don't know what other device you are using, but you might try, just for the sake of experimentation, a standard wired USB mouse, just to make sure the software for the receiver isn't affecting the keyboard driver too. Sorry I can't offer more insight.

      Delete