Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's almost here!

I am waiting patiently for my copy of Leopard to arrive, which should be today or tomorrow. I've read tons on it, some good, some bad, but I have a plan. I will not, repeat: WILL NOT upgrade. As tempting as it is to not have to reinstall all my applications and import mail, address book, and keychain items, no good can come from an upgrade. I use X11 rather frequently, particularly for work where I need to access linux systems remotely and run GUI programs. Yet, I've heard that an upgrade to Leopard breaks all X apps. So, at the risk of spending days getting my computer back up to speed, I will be grateful to have a clean install.
I've taken steps to ensure that the most important programs get installed early. I've listed all programs that run on startup that I use, all dock items (I only put the most important of apps there), preference panes I've installed, and Software I've actually paid for. These are the things I will restore first. Next I'll restore my unix environment by importing config files such as .xinitrc and .bash_profile. I've also started a list of applications that I know are Leopard ready. Lastly, I'm the type of computer user who likes to mess with sensitive aspects of the system without taking many precautions.

Apple Feedback

No comments:

Post a Comment