Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A note about Letterbox for Mail

Letterbox is a great hack for Apple's Mail. I complained about the lack of options to change the view for Mail from the typical Outlook format to something a little more widescreen friendly. Enter, Letterbox. It is a hack that rearranges the panes so that the message pane is all the way to the right and full screen top to bottom. I liked it a lot for my widescreen macbook. But... After using it for many months, maybe even a full year, I am back to the old style. Why? Well, it seems that after fiddling with smart folders and filters, I've managed to get everything set up in such a  way that I don't need a huge long list of emails to show up. Plus, I get mail from Apple, Amazon, and Tiger that all use html and the three vertical pane view just doesn't cut it. I guess the Apple designers who didn't offer the option knew why it wouldn't be necessary. But still, is it that hard to add one additional interface, a slight tweak to the existing one? I mean, they could offer it, knowing it might be inferior for MOST of their users, but still make ALL users happy.  So, I've included a link to Letterbox if you are one of those people that prefer 3 vertical panes. And it would work even better on a larger screen, like that of a macbook pro. 

Don't let me confuse you, I sound like I'm on a rampage complaining about Apple, but I'm nowhere near that. Considering all the mistakes that microsoft has done, Apple is awesome. But, they do seem to be slacking lately with lack of customizabilty. Leapard is a good example, but since I don't own it yet I will refrain from making any comments. 

Apple Feedback

No comments:

Post a Comment