Monday, September 3, 2007

Improve Mail Smart Folders

I recently wrote this request to Apple:

I love Apple Mail for its simplicity and ease of use. Plus, there are many plugins for it. But, one thing I would very much like to have if possible is a way to move folders into smart mailboxes. See, I don't like that every smart mailbox is listed and there's no way to organize them. For example, lets say I want to have a Smart Mailbox for everything that comes from the University of Arizona. So I set it to grab everything with arizona.edu in the From field. But then, lets say I want to further limit by department. So I create a Smart Mailbox for lpl.arizona.edu. But I don't want to see that right below the first, I would like it nested in the first. The idea is that rather than create tons of other mailboxes that rely on rules or manual separation, I'd prefer to keep all messages in a generic archive and have the smart mailboxes do real time filtering for me. Then I only have to maintain a select few standard folders.

[EDIT] I discovered that this complaint was out of shear stupidity. Apple added a feature called "Smart Mailbox Folder" that can store smart mailboxes. Thus, this complaint or bug report, was actually a case of user brightness level set too low.

If any of my readers agree with this post, please send Apple a similar request.

1 comment:

  1. I stand corrected (blushing). I just discovered, rather naively that Mail does have what is known as a Smart Mailbox Folder. That is, it's a folder to store Smart Mailboxes. Damn, I hate it when I try to do something good and only end up making myself look really stupid.

    ReplyDelete