Saturday, September 15, 2007

iTunes: Much needed improvement all around

I had this to say to Apple today about iTunes...

I'm actually not interested in sharing my iTunes library with random people as I travel the planet, but what I am interested in is being able to manage my iTunes library from other computers in my household. My entire library is kept on my Macbook, the rest of the computers in my household are Windows systems. With that in place, I would like to be able to rate and change song info from any system that I choose. I think iTunes should have a password system set up so that I can create a username and password and login to my shared library to make changes rather than go find my computer and remember what song I wanted to rate or change. Also, I noticed a lack of info in the get info option when viewing my library from another computer. Why isn't album art displayed or lyrics? These last two are just little things, but personally, a music library is kind of a family affair and everyone (subject to rights I'd set) should be able to add to, modify, and even remove songs. Of course, having moderator type features would be nice as well, such as allowing the change, but recording it and flagging it so that iTunes on the serving system can ask the owner if all these changes are okay.

Also, another feature that I believe is highly requested is multiple search/sort criteria. Mostly in sort. I know that if you click the header multiple times you get different sorts, but it isn't clear what they are. You should have either a sort notifier to tell you, or better yet, the ability to get a list for each header and sort by it. That is, I might select year and tell it to sort ascending, then click album name and tell it to sort alphabetically, then artist alphabetically. Or something like that.

And one of the biggest most important changes I think iTunes needs is a current playlist like you get in winamp, yahoo music, or any other media player/manager. That is, I should be able to drag any song I feel like playing to a list on the right without changing the currently playing song and without having to build a permanent playlist first. And later, if I like what I built up, and after sorting it to be exactly the way I want, I can save it as a playlist.

Another weird thing is I have no idea what playlist I'm listening to as I browse through my library. I select a playlist, play a song and then browse elsewhere, then I've forgotten what playlist I'm listening to. Sure, I could double click and bring it up in a new window, but then this most annoying thing happens, if I accidentally click on that playlist the window closes.

Most likely, you are already working on some of these suggestions, but if not I hope you will consider my suggestions as things people do want and aren't willing to take the time like I am to let you know about these desired improvements.


If you agree with what I've said, let Apple know by clicking the feedback link. The more we band together, the more likely it will be that our requests are honored.

Apple Feedback



----------------
Now playing: Megadeth - Wanderlust
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment